Friday, April 20, 2012

Umbrella Mount Mod

So, my
Fell off my 
 
and broke. I love the Westcott Apollo orbs, but do not like the umbrella attachment. It comes unscrewed and speed-lights die.  I also have an issue of one not tightening down on the umbrella. 

Anyway, I drove to a local camera store (2 hours away, I was up there any way so) stopped in to see if I could home how to attach my 

There was an adapter, for about 15 bucks.

I then went to my local hometown hardware store, the kind where the old men sit surrounding the door and took a look.

After a short discussion, we opted for a 1 1/2 in carriage bolt and cut it to about 1 inch.

I brought the threaded part home and connected it to the umbrella mount.


Then, the 

was placed on 


and it made a perfect fit
now, no more speed-lights have to die.  Because honestly, who can afford that?

Total cost? 12 cents per carriage bolt. They cut it for me free.  I bought 2, one for each umbrella mount.  Cost for 2 adapters at the camera store, about $30.

Now, if you like living on the cheap, stop by Larry's Cheap shots for more ideas like this one. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment